A tooth extraction involves the complete removal of a tooth. Sometimes it’s obvious when you may need a tooth extracted. Perhaps it’s broken beyond repair or seriously injured or decayed. But sometimes, the signs may not be so apparent.
Some reasons you might need a tooth extraction include:
- Advanced decay
- Severe trauma or injury to the tooth
- Overcrowding (especially before orthodontic treatment)
- A wisdom tooth that is impacted, infected, or otherwise problematic
- A stubborn baby tooth
If you need a tooth extraction for any of the reasons above, our team at Seaport Family Dentistry can help! Thanks to modern anesthesia and evidence-based techniques, the modern tooth extraction process is quite quick and painless. If you have dental anxiety, we can offer you different types of dental sedation so you’ll feel relaxed and at ease during your treatment.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
After you get a tooth extraction, we will give you detailed instructions to help you promote a smooth recovery. Here are some general instructions that are beneficial to follow after a tooth extraction:
- Use over-the-counter medication to alleviate pain or prescription medication only as directed
- Place a cold compress on your cheek in 20 minute increments to help reduce swelling and soreness
- Rest and sleep elevated with an extra pillow
- Avoid drinking with a straw
- Perform gentle salt water rinses to keep the extraction site clean
- Opt for soft foods for at least a week
- Stay hydrated with plenty of water
- Avoid smoking and tobacco products, which can aggravate the extraction site
Gentle Extractions in Liberty, MO
At Seaport Family Dental, we offer a variety of comprehensive dental services for all members of the family, including emergency dentistry and orthodontics. We also offer flexible financing to help make our care more affordable. Please contact us today to schedule an appointment!